List of ambassadors of the United States to Venezuela
|Ambassador of the United States to Venezuela|
Seal of the United States Department of State
|Nominator||The President of the United States|
|Inaugural holder||John G. A. Williamson|
as Chargé d'Affaires
|Formation||June 30, 1835|
|Website||U.S. Embassy - Caracas|
The following is a list of United States ambassadors, or other chiefs of mission, to Venezuela. The title given by the United States State Department to this position is currently Ambassador Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary. The ambassadors are posted at the Embassy of the United States, Caracas.
|John G. A. Williamson||Chargé d'Affaires||June 30, 1835||August 7, 1840||Andrew Jackson|
|A. A. Hall||Chargé d'Affaires||September 22, 1841||November 29, 1844||John Tyler|
|Vespasian Ellis||Chargé d'Affaires||November 29, 1844||August 1, 1845|
|Benjamin G. Shields||Chargé d'Affaires||August 1, 1845||January 2, 1850||James K. Polk|
|I. Nevitt Steele||Chargé d'Affaires||January 7, 1850||October 18, 1853||Zachary Taylor|
|Charles Eames||Chargé d'Affaires||May 23, 1854||September 2, 1854||Franklin Pierce|
|Minister Resident||September 2, 1854||September 14, 1858|
|Edward A. Turpin||Minister Resident||September 21, 1858||November 16, 1861||James Buchanan|
|Henry T. Blow||Minister Resident||June 8, 1861||February 22, 1862||Abraham Lincoln|
|Erastus D. Culver||Minister Resident||October 7, 1862||May 17, 1866|
|James Wilson||Minister Resident||October 10, 1866||August 8, 1867||Andrew Johnson|
|Thomas N. Stilwell||Minister Resident||December 16, 1867||June 7, 1868|
|James R. Partridge||Minister Resident||July 8, 1869||May 9, 1870||Ulysses S. Grant|
|William A. Pile||Minister Resident||October 9, 1871||January 9, 1874|
|Thomas Russell||Minister Resident||July 4, 1874||January 29, 1877|
|Jehu Baker||Minister Resident||March 18, 1878||September 5, 1881||Rutherford B. Hayes|
|George W. Carter||Minister Resident||September 1881||May 16, 1882||Chester A. Arthur|
|Jehu Baker||Minister Resident||May 16, 1882||July 7, 1884||Rutherford B. Hayes|
|Minister Resident/Consul General||July 7, 1884||June 20, 1885||Chester A. Arthur|
|Charles L. Scott||Minister Resident/Consul General||June 24, 1885||September 18, 1888||Grover Cleveland|
|Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary||September 18, 1888||January 18, 1889|
|William L. Scruggs||Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary||May 30, 1889||December 15, 1892||Benjamin Harrison|
|Frank C. Partridge||Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary||March 4, 1893||January 9, 1894||Grover Cleveland|
|Seneca Haselton||Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary||July 14, 1894||May 1, 1895|
|Allen Thomas||Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary||July 22, 1895||June 30, 1897|
|Francis B. Loomis||Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary||October 6, 1897||March 25, 1901||William McKinley|
|Herbert W. Bowen||Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary||August 24, 1901||May 1, 1905|
|William W. Russell||Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary||August 22, 1905||March 8, 1908||Theodore Roosevelt|
|Jacob Sleeper||Chargé d'Affaires ad interim||March 8, 1908||March 15, 1909|
|William W. Russell||Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary||March 15, 1909||March 24, 1910||William H. Taft|
|John W. Garrett||Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary||March 30, 1911||October 21, 1911|
|Elliott Northcott||Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary||February 14, 1912||June 3, 1913|
|Preston Buford McGoodwin||Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary||October 22, 1913||October 5, 1921||Woodrow Wilson|
|Willis C. Cook||Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary||February 1, 1922||May 7, 1929||Warren G. Harding|
|George T. Summerlin||Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary||February 21, 1930||January 15, 1935||Herbert Hoover|
|Meredith Nicholson||Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary||April 22, 1935||April 14, 1938||Franklin D. Roosevelt|
|Antonio C. Gonzalez||Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary||May 18, 1938||February 8, 1939|
|Frank P. Corrigan||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||August 14, 1939||September 5, 1947|
|Walter J. Donnelly||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||December 1, 1947||September 2, 1950||Harry S. Truman|
|Norman Armour||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||December 7, 1950||October 2, 1951|
|Fletcher Warren||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||November 21, 1951||March 24, 1956|
|Dempster McIntosh||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||April 26, 1956||December 27, 1957||Dwight D. Eisenhower|
|Edward J. Sparks||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||March 19, 1958||April 15, 1961|
|Teodoro Moscoso||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||May 23, 1961||November 21, 1961||John F. Kennedy|
|C. Allen Stewart||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||March 14, 1962||November 28, 1964|
|Maurice M. Bernbaum||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||March 4, 1965||July 9, 1969||Lyndon B. Johnson|
|Robert McClintock||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||July 7, 1970||March 14, 1975||Richard Nixon|
|Harry W. Shlaudeman||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||May 9, 1975||May 14, 1976||Gerald Ford|
|Viron P. Vaky||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||July 26, 1976||June 24, 1978|
|William H. Luers||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||October 9, 1978||June 28, 1982||Jimmy Carter|
|George W. Landau||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||August 25, 1982||June 4, 1985||Ronald Reagan|
|Otto J. Reich||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||June 6, 1986||July 17, 1989|
|Kenneth N. Skoug, Jr.||Chargés d'Affaires ad interim||July 17, 1989||September 1990||George H. W. Bush|
|Robert C. Felder||Chargés d'Affaires ad interim||September 1990||November 19, 1990|
|Michael Martin Skol||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||November 19, 1990||August 23, 1993|
|Jeffrey Davidow||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||October 1, 1993||May 16, 1996||Bill Clinton|
|John F. Keane||Chargé d'Affaires ad interim||April 1996||May 1997|
|John Francis Maisto||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||March 21, 1997||August 7, 2000|
|Donna Jean Hrinak||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||August 25, 2000||January 23, 2002|
|Charles S. Shapiro||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||March 19, 2002||August 2004||George W. Bush|
|William Brownfield||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||August 27, 2004||July 2007|
|Patrick Duddy||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||August 6, 2007||September 2008|
|John Caulfield||Chargé d'Affaires ad interim||September 2008||June 2009 |
|Patrick Duddy||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||June 2009 ||July 2010||Barack Obama|
|Phil Laidlaw||Chargé d'Affaires ad interim||July 2010 ||July 2014|
|Lee McClenny||Chargé d'Affaires en pied||July 2014 ||Incumbent|
|Larry Leon Palmer||Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary||Not commissioned||—||Barack Obama|
|Todd D. Robinson||Chargé d'Affaires||Dec 18, 2017||Incumbent||Donald J. Trump|
- Died at post
- Never presented credentials
- Venezuelan government refused to have further dealings with him.
- Because Baker had not presented a letter of recall in 1881, he resumed his functions as Minister Resident on May 16, 1882 without reaccreditation under his original appointment.
- Recall requested by Venezuelan government
- The U.S. severed relations with Venezuela on June 20, 1908
- "US Ambassador to Venezuela". NNDB. 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-27.
- Date of Brownfield’s appointment, rather than of Presentation of Credentials.
- Ambassador Duddy was declared persona non grata and expelled by the Venezuelan government in September 2008. He was returned to his post by mutual agreement of the U.S. and Venezuelan governments in 2009. Duddy completed his tour in July 2010. "Background Note: Venezuela". United States Department of State. Retrieved 2011-07-04.
- Date of Duddy’s swearing in, rather than of Presentation of Credentials.
- "Estados Unidos expulsam embaixador venezuelano". Público. 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-12.
- "Patrick Duddy". United States Department of State. Archived from the original on May 28, 2010. Retrieved April 28, 2010.
- "U.S. Re-Establishing Direct Diplomatic Relations With Venezuela - More 'Productive' That Way". Fox News Latino. 2014-07-10. Retrieved 2016-11-23.
- On June 28, 2010, President Obama had nominated Ambassador Palmer for the post and the government of Venezuela had agreed, but December 20, 2010 the Venezuelan government revoked agreement for Ambassador-designate Palmer, which had been issued in May. "Background Note: Venezuela". United States Department of State. Retrieved 2011-07-04.
- United States Department of State: Background notes on Venezuela
- This article incorporates public domain material from the United States Department of State website http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/index.htm (U.S. Bilateral Relations Fact Sheets).